Saturday, October 30, 2010

One Week


I can't believe it has been a week. It has flown by.

My parents have been in town this week and have been on Charlotte duty and dinner duty. It has been tremendously helpful. Our freezer is stocked with soup, and our pantry stocked with food. Charlotte has been given lots of attention and taken on many outings. After a few days of being very helpful around the house, Judd headed back to work on Thursday.

Max has been an awesome baby. We are just bracing ourselves for the other shoe to drop. He has been very sleepy - from what I remember, much more sleepy than Charlotte was. Since he has been home, I think I can count on one hand the times he has been fussy when we couldn't calm him down. He is so sweet and loves to cuddle. He loves his swing. His nights have been pretty good. He can be fussy from midnight until about 2am - but then will sleep for a few hours at a time. I think I've been able to get about 5 hours of sleep for the past few nights, which doesn't seem like much, but has been enough to keep me from being completely exhausted.

Breastfeeding has been about 200 times easier this time around. My body seemed to know what to do much faster and my milk came in about 3 days earlier than with Charlotte. I was able to pump for the first time yesterday and he took a bottle pretty well.

We went for his newborn visit to pedi on Tuesday morning. When he left the hospital he was 7 lbs 9.9 oz. At the doctor on Tuesday, he had already gained back 2 oz. He had to get his Hep B shot, which was very sad.

Diaper changes have been different. I have been peed on a couple of times - so has Judd. And when I say peed on, I mean like all over my sleeve and arm - it is surprising just how far a tiny newborn boy can pee. Caring for the circumcision has been one more step that I am glad to now have behind us. It seems to have fully healed. His little umbilical cord fell off yesterday, right at one week old.

Charlotte is doing well adjusting. Although, she has had grandparents giving her undivided attention. Judd's mom comes tomorrow - I think it will be after she leaves and I'm on my own for the first time, that we'll see the real adjusting begin. Hopefully I'll have little more energy by then. She is very sweet with her brother, gives him kisses, blows him kisses, sings to him and gives him lots of hugs.

I just love this little guy.





Sarah said...

What a sweetheart! I laughed about the being peed on part -- that happened a lot to Marc and I when we first had Matthew :)

The Johnsons said...

He's so adorable. A hint on the diaper changes - when you go to change him, lift the diaper up just a little and let in the cool air for a moment. Usually if they have to pee that will trigger it and then you can just catch it in the diaper. At least that worked for us!

Emily said...

What a good picture! I am so glad that you are enjoying your time and isn't it great to know that you don't have to go back to work in a few weeks. That really made me able to relax and enjoy the baby days with Lilly. We can't wait to spend a little time with Max.