Monday, January 30, 2012

The Kitchen

Today was a day that we have been waiting about 9 years for (well I have been waiting, I'm not sure Judd was dying to do this, I've just finally worn him down). We started a remodel of our kitchen. We have been planning and dreaming for so long, it is hard to believe it is actually happening.

We bid farewell to the white tile floors that I've disliked from the moment we toured this house for the first time. I've continued to dislike them while caring for a black very hairy dog. The hatred has continued with two messy kids. They are never clean looking, they cracked in places, and have dirty grout. Every Spring and Summer I had to vacuum the floor almost every day to keep Jody's hair from taking over. I almost asked if I could swing the sledge hammer to take the first crack! The counters are white Formica, which runs up the walls as the back splash. The cabinets are solid oak that Judd, I and other family members painted when we moved in.

It is about 480 square feet of space that is getting new floors - hardwoods. We are getting new counter tops and new cabinet doors. All of the cabinet boxes will be repainted. We have a new dishwasher and range hood to be installed. We will get a new back splash. My mother-in-law is going to sew some new window treatments for us. I can hardly wait to see the finished result.

We spent most of Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon/evening getting everything out of the kitchen. This was quite a task. We have almost filled the garage and every horizontal space in the living room/dining room is covered in stuff. I'm fairly Type A when it comes to clutter and I'm hoping I can keep myself sane during this remodel. I'm starting to feel like I'm in an episode of Hoarders.

Trying to keep the kids out of the way is also going to be a challenge. We spend about 80% of our day in that kitchen area. To not have it is hard. We managed today by hanging out at the Himes residence for the afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit quieter and Max will be able to nap at home some.

By the end of the day today they had the entire floor out, the cabinet doors off, and the trash compactor out. The contractor had inspected the floor and will need to replace some sub floor and a joist - or something like that. I guess that will happen tomorrow. The painter will start painting the cabinets.

kitchen1

kitchen2

kitchen3

kitchen4

kitchen5

kitchen6

kitchen7

This lovely trash compactor will be replaced with a new cabinet and drawer. Whoo hoo for more storage!

kitchen8

Here is what it's looking like tonight - already looks better, huh?? :)

photo (4)

photo (3)

3 comments:

Drena said...

Can't wait to see it! So happy for you!

Unknown said...

It's going to look soooo nice!!!! I can't WAIT to see the final product!!!

Allison D said...

Yehaw! You so deserve it! It's gonna be life changing i tell ya....life changing!