Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Story time

Yesterday I took Max to his first story time at the library. This seems so simple, so mundane. But, it quickly became something really special for me. I realized on the way to the library that it was the first time I have taken Max to do something just for him, with just him.

I woke him up from his nap (what?? - crazy, I know), so I could quickly dress him and get him in the car. We headed over to the library, parked, and walked in. I didn't know what to expect from him. I didn't know if he would just sit in my lap and not leave my side, if he would be really into it, or if he would scream and cry and we would have to leave.

He did great. He clapped and "sang" and paid attention (kind of). He patted other kids on the head - one of his favorite things. He was a joy. Definitely the cutest one there (and that is a completely unbiased opinion). I loved every minute of it.

The kiddo doesn't get a whole lot of one on one attention. He sleeps for at least an hour when Charlotte is at school, then when he wakes up, I usually have cleaning to do, errands to run, or dinner to prep, etc. Sometimes I even have a work project and I'm trying to set him up with different toys so I can work. Then, when his sister is home, forget about it. I had both of them in my lap yesterday while I was reading baby books to Max. She never wants to be far from my side.

So, yesterday showed me that I really need to make some more time for this little guy. He is really starting to notice the world around him. He is pointing, jibber jabbering, and mimicking. While he can be exhausting to care for, he sure makes up for it in fun.

No comments: