Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kindergarten

firstdayofkinder1

She woke up at 6:30, jumped out of bed and put on her outfit. She has been waiting a few weeks to wear the outfit that she and Grammie picked out together. She quickly sat down and put on the new shoes that she has been waiting to wear. Twinkle Toe shoes that light up with each step. She had a smile that was contagious. She just couldn't wait to get there.

After some breakfast and teeth brushing, we coaxed Max into his stroller and put Charlotte's back pack on. Finally, it was time to walk to school. Judd, Max, and I began the half mile walk to the school. About half way there, I looked back and Charlotte was adjusting her shoe. Then she started to walk funny. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "Uh, nothing, nothing really!" I asked if she was getting a blister and she said, "Maybe." So, we said that we would get a Band-Aid when we got to school.

As we got closer to the school we were met with so many of our fellow neighbors walking to school. The side walk was packed! It was a really cool thing.

We settled her into her classroom with her teacher, Mrs. Williams. I found the Band-Aid jar and placed one on her blister. We gave her a big hug and kiss. Then, we said good-bye and left her sitting on the rug next to the other kids.

firstdayofkinder2

I couldn't wait to get to her this afternoon. Max and I made the walk back to pick her up. We waited for her, and then I saw her come out of the door. As soon as she saw me she burst into tears. My heart broke into a thousand pieces. Then she said, "I can't walk home, my Band-Aid fell off and my blister hurts! booo hoooo hoooo!" I told her that I brought some flip flops she could change into. She stopped crying and gave me a big smile. Turns out she had a great day, she just didn't want to walk home with a blister! Whew!!

I have been more emotional about this transition than I thought I would be. I know that she is ready for school, and I'm very happy that she is starting school - and at such a great school. However, I'm mourning the loss of my pre-schooler. The one that was home at lunch time. Now we're in the big time. And this is it, this is how it is until she leaves us for college.

She's going to have a great year. I can feel it. I'm so excited about all of the things she'll learn and see. Kindergarten here we come!

2 comments:

Carrie Beth said...

Such a huge step, but sounds like she had a great first day!

Unknown said...

It's crazy to think that this is how she'll do it until she goes to college! So glad she had a good day (she had to have been the cutest one there)!